Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Power to Change!

The older I get the more I see how much change is a part of life.  There is no way around change.  People change, situations and circumstance change, we change, everything changes!  An old Proverb says, "The only constant is change."


I am finding this statement to be more and more true, especially being a missionary.  You would think that each day for a missionary would be the same thing, but the exact opposite is true.  Each day is an adventure and the day never goes how we plan.  Plans change.  I find that the moment I become comfortable or set in my ways Heavenly Father changes it up.  Being on a mission has truly taught me the importance of change and why we need it.  Without change I can not become who Heavenly Father knows I can be. 

Change requires us to try knew things, be comfortable with the uncomfortable, and it requires us to have patience.  Through change we grow!  We all have potential to be far greater than we know, but if we don't allow ourselves to change we are denying ourselves a chance to grow. 


 I have been on my mission for a while now and I look back to the person I was when I first started and oh how I have changed so much!   My pride has taken a hit and I have been humbled quite a few times, but every time I am humbled I change and I grow and I have become a better missionary and person.  When I choose to change for the good, even when it's hard, or when I make a change I don't want to make I am becoming more like the Savior. 

One of my favorite people in the Book of Mormon is Alma the younger because he understood what it meant to truly change and become Christ like.  As a teenager he was so wicked committed so much sin.  But after seeing an angel, he turned his life around and changed.  He devoted his life to Heavenly Father and became one of the greatest missionaries.  In Alma 5, Alma is preaching to the people in Zarahemla and he poses some great questions.  I love what he says about change in verse 14: 

"14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?"

I often ask myself when life circumstances change and hard things come up; "Am I willing to trust God and Heavenly Father transform me into what He wants me to be?  I am in control of my life and my happiness.  I can become who God knows I can be.  I can alter my way of living and constantly become better than I am.  I want to be more like the Savior, and by constantly changing who I am I can become more like Him. 

I have experienced a mighty change of heart on my mission as I have come to truly know Jesus Christ.  We are all children of God.  We have great potential and I know that we can change through repentance.  I have included a talk titled, "The Power to Change" by President James E. Faust that really has helped me understand that God loves me so much that He wants me and all of His children to change.  We need to change!



By President James E. Faust

No comments:

Post a Comment