Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ode to Fathers

I know it's after Father's Day, but I have been thinking a lot about my own father lately.  Of all the people I know and that are apart of my life, he is, hands down, the greatest man I have ever met.  Fathers are to live as an example to their families and provide for them in every way, temporally and spiritually. 

Through the example of my own father I know that I am a daughter of Heavenly Father.  I know how to make right decisions and I know my potential.  My father along with many others has shown me what it means to really give of ourselves and love others.  Elder Christofferson said this about true men and fathers,

"Though he will make some sacrifices and deny himself some pleasures in the course of honoring his commitments, the true man leads a rewarding life. He gives much, but he receives more, and he lives content in the approval of his Heavenly Father. The life of true manhood is the good life."

True men and fathers follow Jesus Christ and always are giving to others. 

Jesus said in Matthew 22:36-39, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

I love my earthly father, my Heavenly Father, and all fathers that do all they can to teach their children how to love others and how to return to live with our Heavenly Father.  Happy Father's Day!

Here is a part of a talk that Elder D. Todd Christofferson gave about being true men.

No comments:

Post a Comment