Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Remember, Remember

In my life I have often been classified as the "Dumb Blonde" and I guess you could say at times I live up to that stereotype.  It happens.  As a missionary I tend to have moments where I just can't remember things.  Actually it happens a lot.  I had one of those moments the other day and I had like a major brain block.  I was sitting there trying and trying to remember what I was going to say, and naturally I couldn't remember.  So I ended up just pondering on the word "Remember."



The word remember actually means to recall to memory.  As I was thinking about the word remember my thoughts were turned to a scripture.  Actually about half a dozen scripture references that use the word remember.  (I have decided you know you are a missionary when everything relates back to the gospel.) But anyway, one of those scriptures was Helaman 5:12, which states, "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty stormshall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

Image

I love this scripture because it really puts it into perspective.  We must really be remembering all the time where our foundation lies.   Where do we place our trust?  Is it in Jesus Christ?  At the end of the day can we say that we have done all that we can to follow the example of the Savior, and have we trusted in Him completely?  If we remember that He is the foundation of our life, we are promised that when the storms of life come, we will not fall.  We will not find ourselves in the depths of despair.  Through remembering Jesus Christ we can get through anything. 


As I look back on my life I realize that when I was having the hardest time it was beacuse I was forgetting where my foundation truly was.  I was not remembering that my foundation has and always will be Jesus Christ.  I have learned that when the hard moments in life come, I have to remember my testimony.  I have to remember the many times I have felt the spirit.  Everyone has been given the light of Christ which allows us to feel the Lord's love in our lives and allows for the Holy Ghost to witness and testify truth to us.  Most often we barely recognize these moments, especially if we are not looking for them, but they do happen often. 

When life gets hard and we catch ourselves forgetting those moments where we have felt the spirit or felt God's love.  We must remember!  Remember those moments when the Lord testified of truth to us, and strengthened our faith. We must remember what we have been taught.  Remember that we are all children of our Heavenly Father, and  that He loves us.  We truly must remember who we are!


I like what Moroni says in Moroni 10:3 about reading from the Book of Mormon,  "Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts."
When we forget our foundation, we have to find it in ourselves to look back and remember how much the Lord has blessed us and given us.  When we recognize and truly remember the blessings from our Heavenly Father we can again become grounded in life with the Savior as our foundation!


No comments:

Post a Comment