Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Matter of Fact

I have decided that it might be possible to learn all I need to learn by simply reading bumper stickers.  It is truly amazing how much you can learn by driving around reading the genius things, and sometimes not so genius things, people put on the bumpers of their cars. 

I read a really great bumper sticker the other day that said, "A truth is still a truth even if no one believes it.  A lie is still a lie even if everyone believes it." 
I read that bumper sticker and right away related it to being a missionary and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  As a missionary all I want to do is share what I know to be truth with others.  Most days no one believes the message we want to share, but I do know that it is true and I received that confirmation of truth from my Heavenly Father.  I have not had the same experience as Joseph Smith, but I know what I know and I cannot deny the truth regardless of what the rest of the world wants to believe.  I love what Joseph Smith had to say when standing up for truth.  He said:


     "So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation" (JS-H 1:25)

I know that honesty is God's policy and the only true way to be happy and know joy.  I know that Joseph Smith did in fact see God the Father and Jesus Christ.  I know that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me.  I know with all my heart these things are true, even when others choose to not believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment